I know of one full length portrait of Mary Queen of Scots, and I believe
I've seen a couple other examples (possibly German), but they're way
out-numbered. According the author of the book I mentioned, the middle
finger "is for fools", but he doesn't really say much else about it.
Although he does say a similar habit prevailed among the ancient Greeks and
Romans and contemporary (1917) Hindus.

This tidbit is included in The Compendium, by the way. ;-)

MaggiRos

Maggie Secara
~A Compendium of Common Knowledge 1558-1603
Available at your favorite online bookseller
See our gallery at http://www.zazzle.com/popinjaypress