A good simple dress would be a gathered bodice with coat or bishop sleeves and
a cartridge pleated skirt. Simplicity had a very good pattern by Martha McCain
that was an easy way to get started if you can find it. I don't remember the #
but the main dress on the front is a yellow dress and the lady has a straw hat
on and a basket.

Past Pattern also has a gathered/darted bodice pattern and you can get
directions on how to cartridge pleat the skirt at elizabethstewertclark.com.

Assuming this is going to be made out of cotton you should look for a print
were the pattern is somewhat uniform. They had a lot of rollerprinted patterns
so if you can see the pattern repeating uniformly as if a roller with a single
pattern was rolled the length of the fabric that is a good sign.

You should also plan on making white collars and cuffs for the dress to be
basted on. This was both commonly seen and will save the parts of your dress
that get the most dirt and wear from showing it as quickly.

Laura Hoover

If we continue to forget our past we will continue to repeat it over and over
and over...