From: Melanie Wilson <melaniewil...@dragonflight.co.uk>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Fri, Jul 31, 2009 8:49 am
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Regency Low stomacher--long

> I know of two extant examples, but both are cotton.??
?
I'm actually using cotton but far heavier than I've used before, it does not
gather well and I'm not totally happy with the look at the moment?
?
> But, about the low stomacher, or apron front, construction.??
?
Low stomacher, ie without the bib front, I'm looking a the waistcoat bosom
type. Yup slits on side so the front drops down in a similar way to drop fall
trousers?
?
>The panel has a drawstring through it, and one places it over the bodice >and
>ties it in place.??
?
Yes, but this fabric is a bit too heavy for a drawstring. Really I'm looking
for examples with a heavier fabric it seems logical to use buttons or a
supporting band, there seems to be some hint of these in contampory pictures,
but as they are worn, it isn't clear if the construction is the low stomacher?
?
>Second--one of the extant dresses was made so that the skirt drawstring ran
>>inside the bodice and tied invisibly somehow--this drove me crazy trying to
>>put it on and adjust everything insid!?
?
I like that construction, I use some inside tapes.?
?
Thanks?
?
Mel?