In a message dated 8/1/2009 9:12:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
melaniewil...@dragonflight.co.uk writes:

Given  the button front is established in this style, buttons seem a
potential  solution, hooks are another

Invisible hooks on the inside is certainly an option.

And just one more thing on the topic of spencers and edge to edge
fastenings--we had this discussion on the 1812Civilian list a couple of months
ago.
 Barry and Judy McPherson, who have seen many extant garments in  English,
Scottish, and Canadian collections, agree that the edge to edge seems  most
common.

I agree that we all make compromises--in fact, Sally Queen put together a
great diagram for, I think, AASLH, a while back that has a continuum for
authenticity, ending in period correct bad breath and rotting teeth (I
understand that the Empress Josephine had notoriously bad teeth, so she
perfected
a closed-lip smile.  And I have heard of an 18th c. reenactor who  blacks
out some teeth.)

Good for you for reducing your stash.  I am only now emerging from my  book
project and thinking about sewing again.

Ann Wass
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)