At 06:23 PM 9/11/2009, you wrote:
Hi,

Finally making progress in my quest to build pieces to use in my history
class.  The ancients are certainly some of the simplest to build, but of
course I have an insatiable need to complicate my life and my projects!

So, if you were building a Roman paenula (hooded poncho-like garment) in a
thick wool or fake wool (actual fiber not certain), the cut edges of which
are pretty stable, how would you sew the seams?  Obviously I'm not looking
for serging ideas here.  I am maybe contemplating actually hand stitching it
since it doesn't amount to a whole lot of sewing.

I think my question is do we think that they would have lapped the edges and
sewn through the layers - no flapping seam allowances on the inside?  Or
would regular, plain seams, pressed open or to one side seem more likely?

This is NOT life altering stuff here!  I've not gone over the edge in a
quest for period accuracy.  I'm just curious.

Laurie Taylor

(480) 560-7016

www.costumeraz.blogspot.com

Whenever I sew selvedge to selvedge (or non-fraying edge to non-fraying edge), I use a whip-stitch, then flatten the seam with my thimble or a seam presser. That way you do not have any seam allowance to deal with.

Joan Jurancich
joa...@surewest.net