otsisto wrote:

 You can get everything you need from animal sources, even without wooly
sheep. Sinew makes a good cord, and NA's were known to use it. Bark was also
used, but I don't think in pounded form, such as you find in Africa and
Polynesia.

Kim
I remember one of the local "Ranger Shows" at Yellowstone talking about Indian dogs. They used to pull travois before horses became common, and their undercoat made fabric. Anyone who has one of the long haired breeds like Husky knows that you can practically make two other dogs out of the hair they shed every time you groom them. The Ranger said that the particular breed had died out or been interbred so much with those brought in with the settlers that you can't identify them specifically any longer. Even now there are people who will spin and weave you something from your dogs shed hair for a price. I saw a lovely big bag like a pilgrim's script made from the undercoat of a Labrador Retriever, so having long hair isn't a requirement. Having a nice thick undercoat would be the way to go.

Wanda