The lining goes on first bringing the seam to the front and whipstitching it to the tape covered wires.

So to answer your question I get it evenly stretched over the frame sections by
WORKING those pins until I am satisfied.  Most sections are cut on the bias
which helps.

This is really useful. So you sew on the lining, then the outer material?

One more question: Do you actually cut pattern pieces? Or do you "drape" the sections, just cutting a piece of roughly the right size, stretching it, and then trimming off the excess? The latter seems like the easier course to me, but I haven't done this before.

I agree that glue is well, tacky.

I'm torn between an exciting new craft and not wanting to spend the time. I don't think I'd go so far as to bead fringe. I'd look for a beaded fringe at an upholstery/drapery supply place, or maybe a silky fringe.

One thing I have considered is a deep household-linens type crocheted edging, dyed to coordinate with the shade and put on fairly flat, not ruffled to death.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com