Fran,

For the type of shades I covered I sewed on the lining first.  The lining was
not done in multiple sections but perhaps only 2 sections which I worked with
pins to create the shape and then sewed the two seams.  When you bring the top
and bottom over to the right side to stitch, those raw edges will be burried
under the top edges leaving no raw edges on the back.  Hopefully this makes
sense.

The fabric looks a little rough around each metal spoke at the top so you take
a small  bias cut strip(with rough edges turned in) and wrap around the metal
spokes--again-wraping to the front.  This covers this rough looking area and is
in turn covered by the outside shade fabric.

>Do you actually cut pattern pieces? Or do you
"drape" the sections, just cutting a piece of roughly the right size,
stretching it, and then trimming off the excess? The latter seems like
the easier course to me, but I haven't done this before.

If you can take a pattern from the old shade (after you have steamed and
brought it back into proper shape and grain line)you can kinda cut pattern
pieces. Always use extra large seam allowances "just in case".  Draping with
roughly sized pieces is the way to go if you cannot determine better from the
original shade sections.

>I'm torn between an exciting new craft and not wanting to spend the
time

You will be well rewarded.

> I don't think I'd go so far as to bead fringe

I would not do new bead fringe, but so want to restring the original bead
fringe.  They are so beautiful but I know it will be oh so time consuming.

>One thing I have considered is a deep household-linens type crocheted
edging, dyed to coordinate with the shade and put on fairly flat, not
ruffled to death.

There are many options depending on what final look you are after.

Good luck and please send a picture when you complete your shade.

Charlene Roberts