I've heard of post-mortem photos that are taken of the person in a coffin. Are there other examples of them with a dead person posed sitting up?

There is something on the side of her head which could be a barrette or could be a head prop or rest of some sort. It does not look like it would be sturdy enough if she was dead.

I agree that her eyes do look focused. There could be other reasons why it does not follow the conventions most wedding photos of the time, for example a disability preventing hand positions, an arranged marriage or cultural reasons why they would not be touching.

     -Carol

On Feb 6, 2010, at 4:45 AM, Sharon Collier wrote:

If you look at the dress, the ribbon that the seller says is "holding her up" is clearly a ribbon at the waist. If it was holding her up it would have to go under the veil, but it doesn't look as if it is doing that. This looks like any other photo of this period, in which the sitters had to sit still for a long time while the exposure was being made. Who would want a picture of a dead woman bride and what reputable photographer (as this seems to be) would agree to do that? The flowers might be in her lap because she couldn't hold them still and they would have blurred otherwise. And to me, the woman appears to be focused on something, probably not the same thing the man was focused on, but who cares? I don't think dead people's eyelids are up like that, either.

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume- boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Penny Ladnier
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 1:30 AM
To: h-costume
Subject: [h-cost] Is this real or not?

I found a photo on eBay that is being described as a post-mortem bride photo. What do you think, is she death or not? Read the description the seller has of the bride. The item number is 380202466338.

Penny Ladnier (who has been snow-bound for two weeks) Owner, The Costume
Gallery Websites www.costumegallery.com
14 websites of fashion, textiles, costume history