I have an opinion here that this looks remarkably German to Himself... Granted Swedish would have also looked "German" ca 1780. Most of northern Europe was looking German-ish, when it wasn't looking French-ish, so why not both together. (The hair-do looks like it's well on the way to Marie-Antoinette-ism, eh?)

And Himself (SCA herald background) also says the silver doodad on the center gentleman's left torso looks to him like a "George", something definitely English, and an order restricted to the King or Duke level. Himself opines that it looks to him like the lady with the whats-it might be at least a Duchess, maybe higher (& Queen is about all that's higher than Duchess) and the three others, ladies-in-waiting in some sort of matching livery.

OH!! OK, not British, although they were strongly German-flavored around this time, George III, Hanovers, etc.

There is a specific attribution for the painting, if you dig deep enough: P. Hilleström; A Conversation at Drottningholm; 1779.

So I went looking for Hillestrom, and found this http://www.safran-arts.com/42day/art/art4nov/art1118.html He's definitely a Swede, but much influenced by german and french artists. He started as a tapestry-weaver, but was always interested in graphic arts and ended as a painter. He did do a LOT of Swedish folk costume work, but IMHO think the court-life ones don't overlap couture-wise. Someone said something about court fashions often being fossilized, that could account for some of the older elements... And the article above also says Hillestrom was "Sweden's first painter of historical subjects", so that MIGHT explain the old-fashioned elements?

So, if the grand lady is Louisa Ulrika, Queen of Sweden, she's the sister of Frederick of Prussia -- German influence. The young man might be her son, Gustav III.

chimene

I believe that's the Swedish national costume or court dress... Argh,
I can't recall where I heard about it, but it may have been Bjarne
Drew's site.  Basically the ladies are all in 18thc versions of
Renaissance gowns, and the gents are all in black piped with red...
except for some people who are in black with blue, or red with blue,
or blue and white.

This is my lack of bookmarks speaking. :\  I believe this was
instituted by the monarch at the time.

-Laura