Which gown? There are at least 4 types.
http://tinyurl.com/2by2jej

Are you speaking of the burial gown?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/413141744_784f44dc14_o.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/278vn6n

Side find: Eleanora's stays
http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extwomclo3.htm

Personal thought is that a white would be to stark.
4 inches? That seems a bit wide.
You do have the option of using the strip of silk that is dyed as a way to
widen the trim by laying a 2" or more trim on that and possibly if you feel
the need, embellish.
You should look for trim that is gold tone and possibly trim with hint of
white or small pearl bead accents.
Or the trim can be a complimentary color with gold metallic.

This is just an example.
Say you have the strip layed down. on top of it you have a 2" trim like this
http://www.calontirtrim.com/queries/showtrim.asp?trimid=1116
then you can embellish with pearls/beads on the trim design and along the
edge of the trim to tie in the white. You want the "guards/trim" to balance
with the gown, not stand out or overwhelm.
Or
http://www.calontirtrim.com/queries/showtrim.asp?trimid=669
non metallic trim of a complimentary color and pearls, plus if your
energetic you can embroider extra accent in a gold tone.

(Just using the Calontir Trim for examples)

De