Apologies for people who aren't interested in fur--it's one of my hot buttons. ;-)

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, monica spence wrote:

Hi Michelle,

Here's my best guess: martens. During the 20th C. ladies wore a nice suit
with a set of martens around their shoulders. They were clipped nose to butt
around the body.

That's where my marten came from. He is from a collar of martens, and is apparently the most creepy of all the fondling furs, according to people who have taken the class. It's the little glass eyes, I think.

There are some of those stoles on eBay, some for reasonably cheap. I have so far managed to resist the siren call of marten fur, but I am weak and may cave.

Martens have a long and distinguished history in fashion history. During the
Renaissance, people didn't know how they mated and thought they did it
without sex (and possibly through their ear) and so they became a symbol of
the Virgin birth.

The Renaissance-era furriers did whatever they had to do to preserver the
skin, replaced the head and little feet with gold/ enameled/jeweled
replacement parts and were worn over the arm of a woman. The portrait of
Countess Livia da Porto in the Walters Gallery in Baltimore shows one.
Because of the fertility reference historians have speculated she might have
been pregnant when the painting was done-- plus she had two children
already, the daughter Porzia is pictured with her mom. Her husband and son
are in another painting.

Zibellini!! There's an article about them in MCAT 2. And some pictures!! (and she apparently makes replicas for sale, too)

http://sablegreyhound.com/Zibellini.html
http://sablegreyhound.com/ZibelliniPicsAndInfo.html

There are a couple of people out there who make replicas, but those are the best pictures.

Jen