Looks like some of you racked up on the gifts.  My future daughter-in-law
gave me a box of antique lace that she had purchased at an estate sale.  In
the box was a fine lace bertha in perfect condition, very delicate lace
collar, and some collars and cuffs that are tacked to tissue paper.  We are
trying to figure out why they are attached to the tissue paper in a manner
of a personal display.  I wonder if it is like the embroidery portfolios at
the Valentine Museum.  Future brides would present their future MIL with a
portfolio of embroidery stitches to prove that the bride was worthy of the
groom.

The best gift was to and from my 9 y.o. granddaughter.  I always wanted a
daughter to teach her to sew.  No such luck with my daughter Katie.   Last
summer on vacation I was embroidering and my granddaughter wanted to learn
how to do it. So I taught her some basics and she fell in love with
embroidery.  She also fell in love my DMC floss notebook that holds the
floss.  She asked for Christmas would I give her one.   I gave her for
Christmas an embroidery pattern book, the DMC notebook, about 30 skeins of
floss, a hoop, and needles.  She was so excited that she wanted to go home
immediately and start embroidering.  She is very gifted in all the needle
skills.  She also crochets and knits.

Lastly my mother gave me a book on how to create the Colonial Williamsburg
all natural Christmas decorations. It is called Colonial Williamsburg
Decorates for Christmas by Libbey Hodges Oliver.  The book really inspired
me to finish my wreath of the 10-point star.  This is my variation of one of
the 2009 CW wreaths at www.costumegallery.com/wreath.jpg    The photo is
extra large so that you can see it closely.  The wreath is 36" across and
took one night to make.  The gumballs and holly came from my yard.  The
star's white area is small dried flowers and the cranberries are fresh.  The
outline of the star is cinnamon sticks.  I am in the process of putting my
photos of making the wreath on my FaceBook page.   Do a search for The
Costume Gallery Websites to find the directions.  By tonight all the
direction will be on FB.

Penny Ladnier, owner
The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
14 websites of fashion, costume, and textile history