Actually, Prussian blue was discovered in the 18th century and it is a
bright, greenish-blue.  It is not an aniline dye.  The aniline dyes  were
developed in the 1850s and 60s.  Fine wool broadcloth was almost  certainly
dyed
with indigo.  It is true that it would take several dippings  to get a deep,
even, shade, but I don't think this made it more expensive than  other
colors.

I had always thought that Brummel, et. al., adopted sober colors as a
complete reaction to what had gone before, but I could be wrong.  I'm
definitely going to check out Purdy's book, although the subtitle, "consumer
cosmopolitanism in the era of Goethe," makes me wonder if it is more focused on

Germany and a slightly later period.

Ann Wass

In a message dated 2/1/2011 2:32:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,