From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of michaeljdeib...@gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:19 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] his blue coat

Sorry I ant include exact dates as I'm at work and it's a hassle to look it
up on my phone!

Indigo dyes were around for a long time. However, they were made from
extracts of plants. This process was extremely costly for the plants
themselves, it took multiple baths in the he in order to reach that deep
rich color that was desires. Because of this expense, only the upper class,
nobility and the clergy were able to afford garments in these colors. I also
believe that that dye was by colorfast.

In the 1760's, the first synthetic dyes were discovered, though it took tip
about the turn of the century till the process was refined. Because it wa
now synthetic, the lower classes could finally afford garments in this color
range.

Again, while I cannot pinpoint my sources by memory, I had looked into this
last spring while costuming the musical Sweeny Todd where the director
wanted a vibrant purple waistcoat for Pirrelli's character. Because of the
year it was set, there was no way He could have afforded that color but
unfortunately my research went unheaded.

Michael Deibert
OAS AAS LLS
Sent from my iPhone