Indigo-the-dye-molecule is the main coloring matter extracted from
indigo-the-plant and from woad-the-plant.

Blue jeans fade, not due to any problems with indigo, but because their blue
threads are dipped very quickly into the dye bath & out again, so their
coloring is all on the outside.
Like an indigo 'O' in cross-section.

If a dowel is painted, and its outsides sanded down, it is no fault of the
paint that the dowel color shows.

Ann in CT