Be sure you have the right kind of hook. If you look closely, some of them
have the very end of the hook curving in slightly, reducing the chance it
will catch.

I have seen extant work done on a fine silk ground, and I have to wonder
if they were doing chain stitch with a needle rather than a tambour hook.

Also I wonder how it would work with a threaded awl, kind of like the way
a chain-stitch sewing machine works. You poke the needle & thread through
the fabric and use a hook in the other hand to chain it, but the hook
itself never actually goes through the fabric. Only the needle goes
through.

I think you could make your own awl using a sewing machine needle set into
a tambour handle. Or an Exacto point vise handle, whatever it takes to
hold the needle. It would work for embroidery but not beads.

-Carol