From: Elizabeth Walpole <elizabeth.r.walp...@gmail.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Sun, June 26, 2011 4:21:01 AM
Subject: [h-cost] 1840s question

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to pin down some plans for some taffeta I bought a while
ago. When I bought it I had a picture in my mind of what I thought of
as a 'typical' 1840s dress with a very plain dart-fitted bodice
(perhaps with a pointed waist) and tight sleeves. But now that I'm
actually looking at images and extant garments that look like what I'm
thinking of.
What I've seen is either a shirred/fan front bodice with plain fitted
sleeves or a darted bodice with rather more complicated sleeves (e.g.
the puff below the elbow or some variation on a trumpet/funnel shaped
sleeve)

So essentially what I'm asking from the collected 19th century wisdom
on this list, is my idea a rarity or non existent or perhaps it
belongs to another era.

Elizabeth