At 11:18 AM 7/4/2011, you wrote:
Look for "beach costume" or "seaside dress". I know I've seen some of those in the fashion magazines.

Carmen

On 7/4/2011 9:58 AM, Kathryn Pinner wrote:
IIRC, 1879-80 is sort of between bustle periods. What would a young English lady living on the coast of Cornwall be wearing? I will be costuming "Pirates of Penzance" in January and am looking for some ideas of where to look. Fashion plates in Godey's and Harper's hardly seem the type of garment that young ladies would be wearing on the beach. Googling previous "Pirates" productions produces a wide range. Of course I know that it is an operetta with a rather silly premise and costume designers can take great liberties, but I would love to have some idea of what might actually have been worn. Any pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. I am more familiar with 18th cent.-early 19th c. and then very late 19th c. (Fran, which of your books covers this?)

Kate

The book "Fabric of Society: A Century of People and their Clothes 1770-1870" by Jane Tozer & Sarah Levitt has a wonderful chapter on Seaside dress. One of the characteristics is the fabric used, mostly washable cottons (or linens). The general look reflects the currently fashionable styles.

Joan Jurancich
joa...@surewest.net