From: Kathryn Pinner <pinn...@mccc.edu>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Mon, July 4, 2011 5:58:27 PM
Subject: [h-cost] 1880's "casual" dress question

IIRC,  1879-80 is sort of between bustle periods.  What would a young English
lady living on the coast of Cornwall be wearing?  I will be costuming "Pirates
of Penzance" in January and am looking for some ideas of where to look. Fashion
plates in Godey's and Harper's hardly seem the type of garment that young
ladies
would be wearing on the beach. Googling previous "Pirates" productions produces
a wide range.  Of course I know that it is an operetta with a rather silly
premise and costume designers can take great liberties, but I would love to
have
some idea of what might actually have been worn. Any pointers in the right
direction will be greatly appreciated. I am more familiar with 18th cent.-early
19th c. and then very late 19th c. (Fran, which of your books covers this?)

Kate