At 03:56 PM 9/12/2011, you wrote:

Hello the list!

I recently finished a garment which can best be described as the bastard offspring of a giermak and a kontusz (15th-16th c. Polish). I think it is nifty and I want to make more. And I like the look of metallic braid, so I would like to continue to use it for the decoration on the front, but inevitably the sort of braid I find wants to come apart on me.

My question is, what should I do, in future, to finish the ends of the braid so that they do not unravel? This first construction used Elmer's glue (it was what was to hand) and that is obviously the wrong answer if one ever plans on washing the garment.

Many thanks,

Jen

I've stitched (by hand) several times across the end of the piece of braid and then soaked the area of the stitching with Fray Check. I always tried to have the ends of the braids in a seam or otherwise enclosed. Plus, don't trim the ends too short or they will pull out of the seam, even with Fray Check.

Joan Jurancich
joa...@surewest.net