> My question is, what should I do, in future, to finish the ends of the
> braid so that they do not unravel? This first construction used Elmer's glue
> (it was what was to hand) and that is obviously the wrong answer if one ever
> plans on washing the garment.

Ideally, find a way to bury them in a seam. What I often do is unweave the
end and hide it under other parts of the garment, or poke a small hole in
the fabric with an awl and bring it to the wrong end; of course that doesn't
work for wide things you can't unweave. I've also used glue, but use
something that's not water soluble (Elmer's glue is, that's your problem).
Leather crafts glue has worked for me, though it tends to be stiff.