thanks, Cin, for a really fun half-hour!!!

let's see...  yes, lots of them look like overblown las vegas showgirls, esp.
the "Carnivale" types.  And so many are completely made-up, even for countries
that used to have national costume!  wow, saw a website with the 2010 "national
costumes" -- this year's are MUCH more television-spectacle-friendly

the ones we thought looked like they actually had something to do with the
culture of the country in question?  LONG and opinionated!  8-)

EUROPE:  Miss Denmark is... Miss Hans Chr. Anderson???, late 1700s/Marie
Antoinette??? but very cute girl and the ringlets look great.
        Miss Estonia appears to include some interesting elements, accurate to
various periods (like the shoes!)
        Miss Greece looks fantastic
        Is Miss Hungary supposed to look somehow like the cavalry, and its
horses??? that headdress???  doesn't look much like my Kate Seredy books!
        Miss Ireland... is supposed to be somebody's hallucination of ancient
Celts???????? poor thing.
        the collection of costumes from Eastern Europe & the "Stans" in
all-white is interesting: Albania, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Montenegro,
Poland, Russia, Serbia (Croatia -- urg)
        real 19thC "national costume" style -- Miss Slovak Republic, Kosovo,
Portugal

AFRICA:  Miss Botswana was a real cutie; anybody know what the
smashed-bucket-on-the-stick "presents"?  most of the rest of the Africans were
pretty fantastical; although actually, I think Miss Nigeria's red bead armor
and pointy-hat thing look definitely like something "real" I've seen somewhere

MIDDLE EAST:  Miss Egypt is channeling Elizabeth Taylor; Miss Lebanon's was
quite pretty and decently covered-up; Miss Turkey certainly looked secular!
Miss Israel has a pretty face, but the "costume" just looks like an evening
gown.

ASIA: Misses China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand really look great,
full of real elements!  Miss Japan looked so manga in that photo!  Liked the
volume of Maori in Miss New Zealand, too!

WESTERN HEMISPHERE:  Miss Canada has a great expression, although an
interesting mixture of West Coast on the torso, Hudson Bay Blanket on the
"skirt", and Plains Indian (?) headdress
        Miss Costa Rica looks historically indigenous, not exactly
identifiable, but a good pose; most of the others that took indigenous elements
from Central & South America were too fantastical for our taste.  Miss
Guatemala's hiking shorts were a good overall look, but feels more eastern
European than Central American somehow!
        completely ridiculous as a national costume, but I liked it:  Miss
Columbia's Carmen Miranda get-up (black-n-white stripes with big red flowers,
huge ruffles)
        Miss Venezuela's "wings"(?) were marvelous, is this the only
non-feather Carnivale design?

MAMA, DON'T LET YOUR BABIES WEAR:  Miss Belgium; Miss Chile (oh! the miners?);
Miss Czech Republic; Miss El Salvador does not actually look very happy with
her... velvet ruffles???; Miss France obviously never put on her costume
before?; WHAT is Miss Great Britain's outfit to represent, anybody have any
idea?; Miss Ireland; Miss Netherland's ship headdress.  Is Miss Spain supposed
to have a Flamenco dress?  Miss Tanzania (the gold armor, with spikes)  Miss
USA-USA-USA -- oh my.

yes, that was fun!
chimene & co.