In later years the word "sacque" comes up freqently in the french fashion
journals I have.  Most often under the term "dressing sacque" or "combing
sacque".  From the illustrations that are in the journals the dressing
sacque is a long loose gown that falls from the shoulders, meant to be worn
after undergarments are put on - but before the actual dress or other outer
garment was put on.  One supposes that if you were puttering around in your
bedroom before finishing dressing - you'd slip one of these on.  In the
pictures that I looked at, they were all very plain and without
embellishment - as opposed to "dressing gowns" which are highly embellished
in the illustrations.

The "combing sacque" is a garment that is only waist-length, and fastenes at
the center front neckline.  These are mostly plain, but sometimes have a
little inserted lace or a yoke.  According to the descriptions, they were
meant to be put on after you were dressed, and while you were combing or
brushing your hair.  Their purpose seems to be to prevent shed hair from
ending up on the clothing you were wearing out in public.

I suspect that this usage (1890 - 1903) is probably derived from your older
garments.

Janyce Hill
Vintage Pattern
Lending Library