-----Original Message-----

I don't offhand see any mention of what these "sacques" are made of. Are they
white linen?

If so, as a medievalist, of course my reflex would be to simply consider these
as shirts, smocks or chemises -- the nearly universal innermost layer of
medieval/renaissance underwear, and hence present in large quantities in most
wardrobes. But I don't know enough about post-renaissance clothing to guess how
late the fashion lasted for this type of undergarment.