I can't address most of your questions - I haven't seen the movie enough to
be able to fast-forward directly to that scene.

However, I maybe can offer a suggestion to the fabulous sleeve caps. There
is a Simplicity pattern for a dreadful costume cape. Unfortunately it's out
of print. It's really close to what you want. But if you could get a copy of
it, I'm sure you could extend the points to the height you wanted. I wanted
to buy it on sale specifically to see how they did the sleeve cap.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-3076-misses-men-teen-costumes.aspx
LynnD