It depends on the stones.  Diamonds & rubies are very hard to fracture.
Opals, pearls & emeralds very easy.  I accidently laundered my tanzanite
ring when I left it in the pocket of a pair of jeans.  It did color change
slightly. Worse, the setting got scratched.  Check the Moh's hardness scale
for an idea, knowing whether your rocks are natural, synthetic or
synthesized stones will also help.
FWIW, Some rocks are still a bit rough thru the hole & might cut the thread
that sews them onto the gown.
In any case, I wouldnt launder or dryclean the dress.  I have a vintage 50s
dress with clear quartz in individual settings that are sewn on.  Still dont
have any idea how to clean that dress.
Do let me know when you're rich enough to sew diamonds onto your dresses.
I'm going to be your very best friend.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com