I've done pearls and garnets.  It was a renfaire costume (King) that saw a lot
of use.  We didn't dry clean though, we used Frebreeze on the inside, and
occasional gentle water rinse.  I think we did end up of using Dryel once.
Everything held up just fine but then garnets are a dark color and I don't
believe change very much.  Some stones are heat treated to enchance color so
you could have a problem there.  If possible, can you test a couple?

And I strongly agree with the previous advice for sewing these things on :).  I
never liked the nylon threads, had trouble with it knotting securely, so I used
quilting thread and a good beeswas, then at least one overhand knot every 2-3
beads.  It's been over 20 years on the original costume and never lost a stone.

Please let us know how the citrine's work out, might need to use them sometime
:).

Catherine