From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 3:13 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] Has anyone here beaded garments with real stones

I just received in a mail (from India) a large multiple strand of little
citrines, pretty but almost certainly not of the highest gem quality.
If nothing else the stringing is awful and I hate the clasp, so they'd need
to be restrung. But, they are essentially beads, a teardrop shape with a
hole pierced through across the narrow end. So I might be able to sew them
to cloth assuming I can get a narrow enough needle.

Problem:  I am sure they will wash,  being stones, but I am not sure they
will dry clean.  And I think they'd work best attached to a medium weight to
heavy, dry-cleanable, rather fancy fabric.

Has anyone tried using real stones for beading and dry cleaning them? Or
should I just have them restrung into a better quality of necklace?

Thanks for any info.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books of historic clothing patterns