Something I do from time to time, inspired by the Rapunzel site:

Take the top half of my hair and twist it into a rope as if I were going to do a bun. But instead of putting all the hair in one tight knot, I wrap it around in a gradually bigger spiral on top of my head. Pin like crazy with all the pins pointing toward the center and tuck the end under. Take the bottom half and split it into half vertically. Twist and wrap it up and around the spiral, increasing the size of the original. Keep pinning like mad. Finally, take the last section, twist, and wrap in the same direction as the second hank of hair. Keep pinning and tucking under the end. I use about 25-30 pins for this. Mine is mid-back length, coarse and curly. You may need more or less depending on your hair type and length. I get compliments on this about how amazing, pretty, complicated, and old-fashioned it looks every time I do it.

Natalie

On 10/20/2011 10:59 AM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:
Wow, that's an amazing site!

Too bad most of them are really too complicated to do in the morning... I'll
really have to get dressed quickly... I'll be sure to steal some of her
tricks though :-)

Thank you!

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Sharon Collier<sha...@collierfam.com>wrote:

Try here:

http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/style-index/

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Audrey Bergeron-Morin
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:54 PM
To: Liste Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] 1880s hairstyles

Good afternoon,

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Halloween costume - actually, a
dress from various Truly Victorian patterns.

I need ideas about what to do with my hair. It's long and very straight.

I need something easy that I can do relatively quickly in the morning. It
doesn't need to be historical, I'm already planning on makeup that won't be
historical, but I'd still like something that keeps in with the style of
the
period.

Any ideas? References? Pictures? Techniques? I'm all ears...

Thank you!

Audrey