Re gloves:

Gloves also had a very practical use in times of poor hygiene, they limited the
bacteria one was subjected to and therefore were a genuine safety feature -
especially if in leather which is not absorbtive. It is amazing to me how many
social and religious dictums actually evloved out of sound scientific
princilpes. Some of which have been abused, some forgotten, some ignored for no
better reason than being different/trendy.
I recall the scandal among the womone's fashion writers when Princess Diana
went to an event with bare legs instead of stockings/tights. Understanding the
fashion and understanding the social expectations are so closely linked it is
fascinating.