After sewing using my mothers machine, I picked up an older metal machine from
St. Vincent De Paul for $7. Swapped out the electrical plug and it works
amazingly. Can't determine the brand or year but it's held up better than my
mothers machine. Many of the newer machines out there are mostly plastic,
unless you go for higher end models. Unless she plans on quilting or doing
fancy stitching, stock with a basic zig-zag machine - especially if she plans
on sewing historical costumes. I personally would rather put my money into
better materials than a fancy new machine where I only use a few stitches on
out of the hundred it can do, but that's me.

Michael Deibert
OAS AAS LLS
Sent from my iPhone