For any who want an old metal machine:

I would recommend against the Kenmore. I grew up using (and cussing!) my mother's ca 1962 Kenmore. It *ate* thinner fabrics. I used it periodically to mend my Dad's clothing when home for visits, and even with years more experience sewing, I never made peace with the clunker.

In fact, it's available in Santa Barbara, California if anyone's interested. Decent "modern" cabinet and quite clean. Make an offer :)

My personal take about Bernina is that the knee lever was made for short people. Hated that so-called feature.

I ended up with a Pfaff about 20 years ago and I utterly love it. Wonderfully solid machine.

==Marjorie