I don't know -- looking at the 19th-century costume hatters, there are hats
they're calling "low derby" or "flat top derby" that look like  it;
http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_mens_hats_f.shtml
 it also looks like their "coachman" hats.
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/000397.php?gclid=CPOTwuDJp7ICFUXf4AodzA4Agg

Most entertaining to me is that what it *really* looks like is a modern-day
women's dressage hat.
Dressage hat:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/wool-felt-dressage-hat-chrstys/p/X1-36035/

I get that it doesn't have the rounded crown of a modern-day derby or bowler,
but the 19th century versions were sometimes flat.
It doesn't look tall enough to me to be a top hat, however.

Lauren M. Walker
lauren.wal...@comcast.net