Thanks!  I think I found the statue you're describing:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PGdp__poAtM/T-LYMC-WgCI/AAAAAAAAL8Q/Nld5-rVqp7c/s1600/scan0004.jpg

You're right -- pretty garish... One does wonder what kind of dyes might have
been used by Chinese peasants.  This may be irrelevant, but I read that
European
peasants' clothing was actually quite colorful, and that they frequently
re-dyed
them as the natural colors tended to fade.

That is indeed interesting--I knew about the Greek statues, but not the
warriors. But yes, the statues were colored with pigments--clothing would have
to have been, in general, colored differently. So still raises the question
whether the statues were an actual reflection of reality.

As to peasants' clothing--again, depends on the dyes available, as well as the
labor to use them. The ubiquitous blue indigo is native to India (they used
woad, which contains the same dye, in early Western Europe). Did the Chinese
have indigo or woad? All kinds of plants give various yellows--did they use
them? I don't even know if the peasants wore wool, cotton, flax, or some other
bast fiber (ramie, also called "China grass," does grow in parts of China.)
This is relevant because the bast fibers, and, to a lesser extent cotton, are
in general more difficult to dye than wool.

But China is such a massive territory that I'm sure what was worn varied
greatly with both place and time.

Sorry, again, none of this helps WorkroomButtons, does it?

Ann Wass