From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of WorkroomButtons.com
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 3:56 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Chinese peasant costumes... help?

Thanks!  I think I found the statue you're describing:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PGdp__poAtM/T-LYMC-WgCI/AAAAAAAAL8Q/Nld5-rVqp7c/s1600/scan0004.jpg

You're right -- pretty garish... One does wonder what kind of dyes might have
been used by Chinese peasants.  This may be irrelevant, but I read that
European peasants' clothing was actually quite colorful, and that they
frequently re-dyed them as the natural colors tended to fade.

Wow!  That sounds like quite the project you have there.  I haven't a clue
about peasant costumes, sorry.  But one thing you might want to think about is,
colour was used a lot more that it would appear now.  The statues pretty much
appear to be a consistent mud shade, right?  Well, I was watching one
documentary about these statutes (I admit it, the things fascinate me), and
apparently they used to be painted incredibly colourfully but the paint didn't
survive time as well as the terracotta.  There are only traces of the paint
left, not enough that would show up on camera, so a German (or at least I think
it was German) museum recreated one of the statues and then using the traces of
paint found on it, painted as it would have been when it was "buried" and put
it on display.  Most people are so blown away by the garishness of the colours
they have difficulty believing that is what it would have looked like.  So
after my long tangent...don't  write off colours for the peasan!
 t kinds, because if those statues were anything to go by, apparently there
wasn't a colour they didn't like in any combination.  LOL!  Just about enough
to make your eyes bleed - as bad as the Greeks!

Cheers,
Danielle

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.