Unless you are buying direct from an estate auction where everything's been untouched in the attic for decades and nothing has been prepared for sale except to throw it in a box lot, you're not seeing most garments in their original state anyway. Dirty rags don't sell well. Dealers take anything salvageable off badly damaged garments and throw the rest out. They not only clean and mend others, and replace buttons: They often dye stained items. They alter waistlines to fit the modern figure where at all possible. They cut off damaged parts to do things like make a petticoat much shorter or turn a nightgown into a blouse. If white dresses with empire waists are in style, they sew a petticoat onto a crocheted yoke. I've been seeing a bunch of those on eBay lately. If knee-length skirts gathered all around are in style, they shorten petticoats and redistribute the gathering all around. I've been seeing a lot of those on eBay too. They turn chemises into camisoles, which people are more likely to wear--I see a lot of those alterations. If heavily trimmed drawers are in style, they add trimming to plainer ones.

Dealers do whatever it takes to give a garment rack appeal to someone who wants to wear it and who will pay the highest price obtainable. You are often not getting a pristine historical item, and almost never one with any provenance.

Vintage jewelry dealers (at least the higher end ones) commonly restring pearls and beads and replace clasps. With other items it depends. But, for example, I see Edwardian sash pins made into not only belt buckles but statement necklaces. I adore Art Nouveau sash pins, but they are not very wearable in modern life and it can be preferable to have a necklace you will wear than a sash pin you will not.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com