Lena,
Names of hats changed alot in the '80s & '90s.  Sometimes the latest
fashionable name was applied to a different style.  (Funny. that still
happens today!)

I'd have your friend look into store catalogs for the period & place &
social milieu she's interested in.  Catalogs are useful in that they
match up a style name with a picture and a price-point.

Here in California, that would probably be Weinstocks of Sacramento
(1890s).  On the east coast perhaps a middle class Sears catalog (if
they sold fashions in '93 and onward) or an uppercrust fashion mag
like Harper's Bazaar.

You'll know your local London & Oxford shops better than I ever could,
so I'll leave you to that.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com