Thanks; lovely resources.  I'm definitely familiar with the fedora as a
hat; I've just never heard of it as a hair styling technique before, hence
my curiosity!

Thanks to Google books and the Ngram viewer (hugely useful for etymological
study), I've managed to track down a possible link.  The fedora was named
after the hat that Sarah Bernhardt wore during an 1882 play called Fedora.
 (Meaning that all those manly men in noir movies were wearing a girl's
hat...) Perhaps the hairstyle she wore during the play ALSO started a
fashion for a particular style of curls, and the girl in that passage I
quoted was setting her curls into the particular style that Sarah B wore
during the play; it sounds like it must have been one really tight curl per
side, covering the forehead.  (Sadly, I've been unable to find a photo of
Sarah B in the original fedora hat with her fedora curls.)

Also, I've come to the conclusion that 'crimp' and 'curl' were being used
as interchangeable words.

-E House