Thank you. I wasn't sure how much was between the two passages. :)

LOL! I am beginning to think the two fedoras bit is a nonsensical dream
sequence and we're trying to see the illogical logically.

This one is supposed to be Sarah. You may have found it already but it was
the only Sarah in a fedora picture I could find, from a French blog entry
from 2011 on "the trendy fedora."

http://maniadeguria.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/sarah-bernhardt.jpg

Although the brim does look a little small. Fedora or not, I think she
looks lovely! And, I'm loving that coat. If nothing else, you gotta check
out the cut of the sleeves. :)

I think the wiki page labeled Sarah as a "notorious cross-dresser." So
maybe the manly noir men in are indeed wearing a gender appropriate hat. :P

Sorry I wasn't more help. If the writer is truly talking about a styling
aid, I'm totally at a loss! Thank you for bringing up this topic though.
I'm enjoying it immensely! :D