From: Heather Rose Jones <heather.jo...@earthlink.net>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Wed, Oct 8, 2014 10:28 pm
Subject: Re: [h-cost] wardrobe size

Wills are often a great place to research this type of question. Unlike a
trousseau, they tend to reflect possessions at a random point in life (rather
than a planned-for life transition).  There are a lot of researchers studying
clothing represented in wills in various times and places, so you might be able
to find a good selection across time. I sorry not to have specific authors or
publications to recommend, but that might give you keywords to work from.

Heather

On Oct 8, 2014, at 4:16 PM, Cascio Michael wrote:

> Hello,
>    I'm trying to look into the size of the average middle-class woman's
wardrobe through the centuries.  Finding advice on the trousseau is easier, at
least after the advent of ladies' magazines but I'm most interested in how many
dresses a middle class woman would own.  How common was the one dress for every
day and one for Sunday with a multitude of aprons?  Do women start having more
dresses after the advent of cheap cotton?  Since the list covers a large span
of
history I'm hoping for answers from many centuries.

Cassandra