     From: . . <lizmaek...@hotmail.com>
 To: "h-costume@mail.indra.com" <h-costume@mail.indra.com>
 Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2015 3:00 PM
 Subject: Re: [h-cost] Stange detail on early 1900's shirtwaists - help?

Hello,
I get this in digest form so I apologize if anything I say is repetitive of
something someone has already posted.  There is a pattern for a similar blouse
in 1906 in the Delineator:
https://books.google.com/books?id=tGxJAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA1177&ots=D7FhGj19hw&dq=The%20Delineator%2C%20June%201906&pg=PA646#v=onepage&q=shirtwaist&f=false
The reason it might have the overbelt and not be permanently gathered in the
front is shown in a book from 1911:

http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlework/Text-Book-On-Domestic-Art/Shirt-Waist.html#.Vc-L2rTy8y5
Basically, it was because it was much easier to launder for the students in the
era before washing machines.  :-)  You can use the inner belt to keep the
shirtwaist from moving around and the outer belt is used to keep the
pleats/gathers in place while you are wearing it.  The outer belt would be
hidden by the skirt and yet another belt.
Hope that helps!
Sincerely,Isabellahttp://www.extantgowns.com