Hey there,

I was trying to build H2 with the provided mvnw script and stumbled over a
couple of things.

1) Encoding

[WARNING] File encoding has not been set, using platform encoding US-ASCII,
i.e. build is platform dependent!

This can easily be fixed with a build property (sets the encoding to
UTF-8). Interested in a patch?

2) Failing tests

Then there are numerous test failures.
I guess those are known?

3) Failing Sniffer/Failing Maven Wrapper

When I skip the tests (./mvnw clean install -Dmaven.test.skip=true), and
run Maven using Java 8, the Java 6 Animal Sniffer reports issues in MVStore
and MVTable:

[INFO] --- animal-sniffer-maven-plugin:1.15:check (check-java-api) @ h2 ---
[INFO] Checking unresolved references to
org.codehaus.mojo.signature:java16:1.1
[ERROR]
/Users/hendrik/Projects/h2database/h2/src/main/org/h2/mvstore/db/MVTable.java:358:

Undefined reference: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.KeySetView
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()
[ERROR]
/Users/hendrik/Projects/h2database/h2/src/main/org/h2/mvstore/db/MVTable.java:358:

Undefined reference: java.util.Iterator
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.KeySetView.iterator()
[ERROR]
/Users/hendrik/Projects/h2database/h2/src/main/org/h2/mvstore/MVStore.java:727:
Undefined reference: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.KeySetView
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()
[ERROR]
/Users/hendrik/Projects/h2database/h2/src/main/org/h2/mvstore/MVStore.java:2362:

Undefined reference: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.KeySetView
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()
[ERROR]
/Users/hendrik/Projects/h2database/h2/src/main/org/h2/mvstore/MVStore.java:2362:

Undefined reference: java.util.Iterator
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.KeySetView.iterator()

When I switch to run Maven with Java 6, I get:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/maven/wrapper/MavenWrapperMain : Unsupported major.minor version
51.0

Finally, running Maven with Java 7 seems to work.

I have no idea how the maven-wrapper.jar was built, but it should probably
be recompiled with Java 6.

4) Are the docs not built?

Are docs generated when I build with Maven? I'm under the impression they
aren't. Open issue?

Cheers,

-hendrik