On 2019/10/07 1:32 PM, Tim Fielder wrote:> The problem with this approach is that since the tables are indexed, the insert time grows quadratically with the size
> of the table.  As a result I can handle 230,000 articles in about 2 hours,
but the full 46.7 million will take at least
> 300 days.

That should not be the case, insert time should be something like O(n log n)
So not sure why it is so slow for you.

> In order to defer the application of constraints until after I fully complete
parsing, the schema becomes simply:>

If you are going to do something like this, then rather

(*) insert all rows into tempdoc

(*) CREATE TABLE document AS SELECT DISTINCT .... FROM tempdoc

(*) add constraints to document

and similarly for other tables.