On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 20:58, Tim Fielder <tlfiel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also wanted to ask about performance differences across database modes.
> Right now I'm constructing the database in file mode and just storing it on
> the same machine that's running the application.  I can't set up an actual
> server to offload the database maintenance onto a second machine, but

I wouldn't expect running H2 on another machine to improve things. MySQL
may or may not be faster, depending on a lot of things.

Also, looking at your schema, and your saying that you are indexing the
tables, you may want to consider doing
CREATE TABLE reference (docid varchar NOT NULL,
                        refid varchar NOT NULL );
CREATE TABLE reference_reverse (refid varchar NOT NULL,
                        docid varchar NOT NULL );
and only having a primary key index on each one.

This will make certain lookups faster, since the required data will be
grouped closer together.