Hi Everyone,

Here's an interesting speech on Social Software, given by
Clay Shirky at the O'Reilly conference a few months ago that I think is very relevant
to what we're working on:
http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

It's pretty long, so if you don't have time to read it, here are a few good points
that are relevant to our work (their relevance is left as an exercise for the reader):

- As online groups grow, it becomes harder for the group's goals to be fulfilled (the
group's goals are usually different from any single individual's goals) and the core
group has rights that trump individual rights in some situations.
- We cannot completely separate technical and social issues.
- Members are different than users (since becoming a user is so trivial in an online
system), and there needs to be a way to differentiate between them.
- Things to design for:  reputation, barriers to participation (it seems
counterintuitive, but think about how Usenet became worthless...pre-google at least),
and scaling.

Joe