On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Maor Meir wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Raindel Shachar wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, guy keren wrote:
> > > 4. in the 'dial-up modems' slide, don't use the word baud - this is
> > >incorrect. for example, 14.4Kbps modems still communicated in 2400
> > >bauds. they achieved a higher speed then 2400Kbps modems by using
> > >'electrical engineering wizardry' (don't ask me how - ask an electrical
> > >engineer).
> >
> > >From "WordNet (r) 2.0":
> > baud rate
> >  n : (computer science) a data transmission rate (bits/second)
> >      for modems syn: baud
> >
> > Therefore, if a modem communicates in 14.4Kbps, it's baud-rate is 14.4Kbs.
> > 56000 is the physical maximum limit for dial-up modems (8000 symbols per
> > second, each of 7 bits). This limit is implied by the fact that the phone
> > line is sampled at the telephony switch at 64Kbps (8000 samples per
> > second, each is 8 bit). I am a student in EE :-).
> >

> The Jargon file is more elaborate on this issue, and under baud
> it lists: "...The technical meaning is `leveltransitions per second';
> this coincides with
>  bps only for two-level modulation with no framing or stop bits. Most
>  hackers are aware of these nuances but blithely ignore them."
>
> The Free On-line dictionary also has more on baud:
>       <communications, unit> /bawd/ (plural "baud") The unit in
>       which the information carrying capacity or "signalling rate"
>       of a communication channel is measured.  One baud is one
>       symbol (state-transition or level-transition) per second.
>       This coincides with bits per second only for two-level
>       modulation with no framing or stop bits
>
> I personally believe using baud as a synonom for Bits per second
> is perfectly acceptable, and it is widely used in this fashion.
>
>  Meir

if you like abusing terms - go ahead. i hope some hacker breaks into your
system - i don't mind if you want me to call him a cracker - since you
don't care about subtletes anyway. ;)

since electrical engineers here have failed us(...), i will write what i
once was told by an electrical engineering student, who have learned this
specific subject, back in the 14.4Kbps modem days. he worked in a technion
lab that designed such an 14.4Kbps modem, and he used to know what he was
talking about in general, so i pressume the information was correct.

the modem still sends data in 2400 baud. however, it super-imposes(is this
the right term - to combine several signals together?) several signals on
the same link, using phase shifts (e.g. one signal is sent in a +90
degrees phase shift, another in a -90 degrees, etc). this way, they were
able to combine 14400 / 2400 = 6 signals on a single carrying signal. a
filter on the receiving side would de-compose the carrying signal back to
the original 6 signals.

i might have gotten the details wrong. here is a site trying to explain
modem's modulation with text and graphs:

http://www.physics.udel.edu/wwwusers/watson/student_projects/scen167/thosguys/

or this one:

http://www-scm.tees.ac.uk/users/a.clements/Async/async.htm

so be a sport - don't say the modem works in 56000 baud - say it works in
56000 bps. it's not as if using 'baud' makes people understand you better
- the listeners do not care which term you're using. and in such cases, i
prefer using the right term. i hope you do, too.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,