In the academic world it is customary to put your work on-line.

If someone want to use it, they must (must as in "they really should do
so, and if they don't their papers might be rejected until they give
citation") cite you.

When you put something on the web, you hold the copyrights. This means
that you explicitly allow everybody to see it, but no one to use it
without prior consent.

Putting a sotware on the web, doesn't mean everybody could use it. They
are all welcome to see what you do (for example, if they need to trace a
format of a file), but they are not allowed to use that code without your
consent.

Once you GPL (X11, BSD, ...) your code, you maintain the ownership of what
you did, and allow a fair usage of your work. The same goes for documents.

--
Orr Dunkelman,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Any human thing supposed to be complete, must for that reason infallibly
be faulty" -- Herman Melville, Moby Dick.

Spammers: http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~orrd/spam.html