A spinoff of the 'honey, I shrunk the club' thread, I'd like this
thread to take a look at the Matam (or similar courses) students. This
week I gave my VIM lecture, and Taub 3 was quite literally packed with
Matam students. Even after the (quite clumsy, seeing as I had to
change my lecture on-the-fly) first hour - which made it clear that
this lecture was not mandatory, and that the discussed material is
hard to get the hang of when compared to other solutions - most people
stayed for the second. Many people stayed after the lecture to ask
further questions. I was very pleased, as I thoroughly enjoyed helping
out Matam students last semester and the one before.

Now, I figure that Haifux's 'blood' comes from two main sources -
people who are already familiar with Linux, and people who were very
recently introduced to Linux for hobby/business purposes. Now, I
definetely wasn't the first to figure - we're in the Technion CS
faculty, people are being taught Unix and Linux - why not 'recruit'
Haifux members there? And apparently, an extremely effective way to do
this is to ask a friendly TA-in-charge to post a recommendation for
our lectures in the course mailing list.

As for content - I imagine that a rivaling Emacs lecture (which I'd
love to hear, all jokes aside) is in order. But most of all, I'd very
much enjoy a rerun of C without a spoon, as I only got to see one of
the lectures.

What are your thoughts on this?
--
To necessity... and beyond!