Hello,

Eventually, I just went for another service provider. It helped me when I realized (using ping) that the storage is on another server, with a ping of 17 ms and a TTL of 52. That is, across some switch. Even though one could argue that almost all virtual hosting uses remote storage, at least there's one mount that can fail, not two.

As for the disk speed: 5 MB/s is enough for our needs, I believe. And it looks like this figure is a result of I/O throttling, which is quite understandable on a ultra-cheap VPS server. Besides, the current figure isn't much better.

Uploading material is much slower than that. As for building the site -- most of the slowdown until recently was because the script attempted to fetch data from fellow sites, which have vanished long ago. So we were actually sitting and waiting for web fetch timeouts. So much for efficiency.

But all this doesn't matter by now. Let's hope I have better luck with the new provider.

Regards,
   Eli